Thursday, April 28, 2011

Reaching for the Stars


Our guest blogger for the day is Cassandra Deguzman, a new marketing intern at Communities in Schools of Whatcom County. Cassandra is a senior at Western Washington University graduating in August, majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing and minoring in Economics. Today, she talks about her role here at CIS and the big goals she is working on reaching.

After months of desperately searching for an internship, I stumbled upon an opening for a marketing internship at Communities in Schools of Whatcom County. As I looked into the mission, values, and impact of the organization and its programs, I was drawn into everything CIS stood for.

I grew up in Whatcom County my whole life and I had never been fully aware of how substantial the drop-out rates are in the very place I grew up. I realized many people in the county were also uninformed, so it is my role in the organization, to inform. 

Throughout my internship at CIS, my focus has been to generate awareness by utilizing social media outlets. Through the use of Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, and the website, I promote the work that we do here. I let people know about upcoming events, programs that are in place, success of the students in our programs, and much more. 

Maintaining a strong, visible online presence is very important for growing organizations, such as ours, in growing awareness. The work that CIS does is incredibly important and it’s my personal mission to make sure everyone knows who we are, what we do, and what we believe in!

No comments:

Post a Comment